Resistance classes and standards
- The resistance classes are certified according to what firearm impact the armor can withstand. EN 1063 applies to the glazing, while standards EN 1522 and EN 1523 define the properties for the opaque materials of the other body parts.
- The certification of the vehicles in the respective resistance class is carried out in Germany by the inspection offices in Mellrichstadt, Munich and Ulm.
- In the past, the classes were subdivided from B1 to B7 (“bullet class”) for body parts and analogously with BR1 to BR7 for glazing. In general, these designations are no longer used, as they do not correspond to any tested standard.
- Today, the abbreviation VR stands for “Vehicle Resistance”. All vehicles used by us are tested and armored in accordance with VPAM BRV 2009 VR7 or VR9 (formerly B6 or B7).
- VR7 (B6) has a steel thickness of 8 mm and a target thickness of 40 mm. Proof: max. caliber 7.62 x 51.
- VR9 (B7), on the other hand, has a steel thickness of 10.5 mm and a target thickness of 68 mm. Bullet: max. caliber 7.62 x 51 HC.
- If several calibers are specified, the firing must be carried out with both calibers in order to achieve the resistance class. The resistance classes specified so far are B4 and B6/B7. The slash in the specification means that the body corresponds to bullet class B7 and the glazing to bullet class BR6.
- In addition to attacks with firearms, such vehicles also protect occupants from attacks with IED/USBV, mines, UXOS, explosives, axes, crowbars, and incendiary bombs (Molotov cocktails).
Further security measures
- The armor of a special protection vehicle can guarantee maximum, but not 100% safety to the occupants. In most cases, special protection vehicles are also only a part of the overall measures to protect people. A very important part of safe driving is the driving skills and behavior of the driver. All drivers of one of our special protection vehicles have completed a personal protection training and a special driving training. If required, we will be happy to provide you with additional, well-trained personal protection personnel.
- To further increase your safety, we often form convoys. Escort vehicles are also special protection vehicles, for example, an uninjured protection person can transfer to an armored escort vehicle after an accident. On highways, escort vehicles are used to shield against close approaching vehicles. In the event of a targeted attack, the crew of one of our escort vehicles can fight off the attackers to enable the vehicle of the person being protected to escape as quickly as possible.